Monday, February 4, 2013

Gnocchi Made In House

Part of what I like about cooking is that it makes me feel skilled; like I'm good at something. There's just this good feeling that comes with producing something tangible that makes other people happy. There are a lot of people out there who can cook well, but there are also a lot of people out there who can't. And, cooking is one of those things that easily impresses people. "You make it from scratch?' Why yes, yes I do! It's like how I get so impressed by anyone who can stitch or knit or glue two things together. "You made that?" I ask. I'm sure it's easier than I think but I'm only capable of one skill and I'll stick with cooking.


So, recently, I learned how to make gnocchi! Oh gnocchi... It's the kind of starchy goodness that just haunts you at night. It's the kind of comfort food you crave. When I found this recipe on line and saw how easy it was I knew I had to try it.

You first start by baking potatoes. It's quicker to boil but I'm wondering if the recipe tells you to bake so they don't become water logged?


Baking is fine. It allowed me to make mini bacon wrapped baked potato to serve as an appetizer. Gnocchi is easy to  make but it is pretty time consuming.


That little dollop to the left is chive butter. You take some butter, you take some chive, and you mush it together. 

After the potatoes cool you put it through a ricer which is a pain in the butt. The recipe says if you don't have a ricer you can grate the potatoes and I might try that instead next time. Once the dough is formed you just rope them out, cut, and  use the back of the fork to get those little ridges.


If you have more gnocchi then you want to eat that day you can freeze them. Do not make the mistake I made. I put the dough in the refrigerator with the intent to make more soon. Two days later I had a brownish, watery, very strongly potato smelling, gross mess. Next time I'll just finish out the dough and freeze the ones I don't eat that day.

Gnocchi take a long time to make (and really most of that is just potato cooking time) but they cook very quickly. You just boil them until they float to the top, which is around two minutes.


Delicious! 

When I think potato I think bacon. The recipe calls for a tomato broth, and I'm sure that's very good, but I sauteed mine with some bacon, spinach,  and mushroom and served it with grated parmigiano cheese.

 

Good times!

No comments: