Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Orange and Balsamic Chicken Breasts

I am thinking of creating a cookbook, not to sell or anything like that, but for my own personal use. It will be a compilation of all of my favorite, go to recipes. I have read that there are sites that will publish your blog pages into a hard copy. Or, maybe I can do it scrap book style with pictures and stickers and theme appropriate backgrounds. Or, maybe I'll just find a pretty notebook and fill it with my beautiful handwriting (sarcasm, by the way). Something to think about. I think it would be nice to have something to pass down to... well, not really planning on kids so... nieces and nephews it is. When I'm long gone they can think of me by flipping the pages and whipping up Aunt Jin's Chocolate Chip Cookies. Amazing cookies by the way, really amazing.

Well, if I were to create a cook book I can tell you that this Orange and Balsamic Chicken Breasts will probably not make the cut.


That's not to say they were bad, they weren't, they just weren't "Oh my goodness, let's make it again!" good. That being said, the recipe does comprise of things that I probably have in the house already (shallots can be substituted with onions) so it is a nice, "Don't feel like going grocery shopping but feel like doing something more than microwaving" kind of a meal. As an added bonus, you can make this thing in under 30 minutes.

Orange and Balsamic Chicken Breasts
Serves: 4

24 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 TBSP unsalted butter
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/3 cut low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup orange juice
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar

Sprinkle chicken with salt and dredge in flour, shaking off excess

Warm 1 TBSP butter and oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until butter foams. Add chicken; cook until cooked through and golden, turning once, about 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.

Add shallot to skillet and saute until softened, about 1 minute. Add broth, orange juice, vinegar and sugar; cook, stirring, until slightly reduced, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add remaining butter, and stir until thickened. Season with salt. Slice chicken, pour sauce on top and serve.

2 comments:

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Good idea, making a recipe book. Too many great recipes have gone to the grave because they were never written down and handed on to the next generation!!!

The Asian Pear said...

Mmm. Looks yummy. Thanks for the recipe. Will have to try.