Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Fried chicekn with Cheesey Potato Hash

Hey, would you like an update on my "Cereal" Challenge? So far I have "saved" a grand total of... drum roll please... $30! Yay. I was doing really well there for awhile. I was bringing left overs to work and even my co-workers were encouraging me. Then, I started to get lazy and default to Kashi frozen entrees. Kashi frozen meals are cheaper than eating out for lunch but they're still a good $3.50. I define "cereal" as either left overs or a "meal" that costs less than $2.

At this point, I don't even really want the jacket anymore, but I am trying to be better with my finances this year, and there are a lot of shoes that I want, for example:




I can't decide what color to get. I am leaning towards the black and white but the lavender and brown is calling my name as well.

So, "cereal" it is then! The problem is that often times, there aren't any left overs to take to work and I'm too lazy to actually prepare lunch. The other day we had Fried Chicken with Cheesy Potato Hash for dinner.


I only fried two chickens since there's only two of us and microwaved fried chicken is not good. We had enough hash left over but did I really want to eat mashed potato as lunch? No, no I didn't, even if it was very, very good.

Fried Chicken with Cheesy Potato Hash
Serves 4

1.5 lbs red potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 large eggs
3 slices sourdough bread, finely ground, about 1.5 cups (screw that, I just used bread crumbs)
4 chicken cutlets (about 1 lb)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cups (about 7 oz) store-bought coleslaw mix
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese

In a medium pot, combine the potatoes and enough salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until just tender, about 12 minutes; drain.

Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. In another shallow bowl, place the breadcrumbs. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and, working with 1 piece at a time, coat with the breadcrumbs, eggs and breadcrumbs again. Transfer to a sheet of wax paper.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2.5 TBSP olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Wipe out the skillet.

In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1.5 TBSP olive oil. Add the coleslaw mix and bell pepper; season with salt and pepper. cook, stirring often, until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the scallions. Coarsely mash in the potatoes and cheese; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the chicken.

3 comments:

jamie535 said...

Lavender and brown!!!

jamie535 said...

No! Pink and brown is what I meant. Ha, I typed the wrong this with bunches of exclamation points. But that is how strongly I feel about pink and brown (NOT lavender and brown). Full clarification:

Pink and brown!!!
Black and white!
Lavender and brown!

Jin6655321 said...

Pink and brown? Really? I think I just like the lavender and brown because it's not black and white. That is, I like the black and white but I'm afraid it'll get too dirty too quickly so that's why I'm leaning towards lavender and brown.

Not sure if I have anything to go with pink and brown... But then again, do I have anything to go with lavender?