Thursday, April 29, 2010

Still Sick


This bland picture of some weird bland grain (what is that, couscous?) is exactly that, bland. And no, it is not couscous, it is quinoa. It's actually not that bland, it has a very distinct healthy taste to it. Yeah... Healthy.... Daria introduced me to it years ago and I recently (kind of) got into them because everyone I know is suddenly turning all healthy on me (TRAITORS!!!) and what's healthier than quinoa?

Here's a recipe so freaking healthy it will make your mind explode. Are you ready?

A bunch of spinach
Some cooked quinoa
A handful of blueberries
A handful of almonds
One Sliced Bananas

Mix ingredients and serve.

It's actually pretty good but it's the only quinoa recipe I know. Unfortunately, the only ingredient I have from the list above is cooked quinoa and that's what I've been eating- yup, just plain quinoa. I'm still sick, I can't smell anything. Everything already tastes bland anyway so, I figure, save the good stuff for when I can enjoy it. For now, I'll just eat healthy grains.

It's actually not that bad. I think if you threw some berries in there it would be like just really really dry oatmeal. Too bad I don't have any berries.

Oh, want to hear a sad story?

So my symptom now includes sore throat. The icky sinus, the stuffy, drippy, mucousy nose, the headache, the sneezing- all that I'm okay with. Sore throat? AUGH! That's my least favorite symptom. Yesterday, at work, I decided I needed some tea. And, since I hate the Caribou coffee downstairs (put their disgusting crash grubbing hands all over the mouth hole of the lid!) and Teavana is right around the corner I decided to get some tea from Teavana.

Now, I knew I would be paying more but I figured what, like a dollar more? No big, teas are pretty cheap anyway. I saw that they had three price points, $2.99 for common tea, $3.99 for not so common tea, and $4.99 for rare teas. Now, I know shit about tea so I don't really know what's rare and what's not. I asked for the Jasmine Pearl tea because all Teavanas sample those out by the gallons. If they're being that generous with it, it can't be too expensive, right? WRONG! She rings me up and it's over $5! For a cup of tea?! Well, by then my tea was already brewing so I paid, but jeez...

So, next time you walk past Teavana and sample their Jasmine Pearl, enjoy it. Apparently that is some rare, rare stuff.

1 comment:

jamie535 said...

That recipe sounds SO gross to me. Here's a recipe using quinoa that I bookmarked the other day (will prob never make, but it sounded good):

Quinoa and Black Beans

***It is MUCH better chilled than warm! Also, I wait until it has chilled and then add the chopped cilantro, to keep it from getting "wilty." :-)

INGREDIENTS

* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
* 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
* 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 cup frozen corn kernels
* 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Refrigerate until chilled. Really good at room temp, too.